What a Week.

Many of you reading this are already aware that I was in Boston on Monday to watch my dad compete in the Boston Marathon. As anybody who's had connection to the internet in the past five days knows, that didn't go so well. My dad ended up breaking his hip just before the bombings (not related), and my mom and I were about a block away from the explosions. Definitely one of the scariest days of my life, and one that will stay with me for a very long time. I've shared the full story of the day several times, so I won't put it up here. If anyone has not read it and is interested, they can here. What I do want to post are the pictures I took of today. There is nothing gruesome or disturbing; there is far too much of that elsewhere on the internet. This is simply some of what I chose to capture on that day.


The wheelchair part of the race came first. These were the racers who seemed to be enjoying the marathon the most.


The elite female runners. The winner is the woman in orange near the front.

The leading men (who were all from either Ethiopia or Kenya). The winner of the marathon is the man in focus near the middle.

A different view of the race. This is around mile 18.



Go Dad!

Taken while we were waiting for my dad at the family waiting area. This was before the bombing, and well before we knew where he was.



The next pictures were all taken about 15 minutes after the bombing. I didn't know what was going on at the time, only that there were a couple loud noises that sounded like explosions. I think many others there did, however.
After the explosions, I didn't think to take pictures for a long while; we were searching for my dad, and there were so many other things on my mind. However, after a while I realized that it would be important to document, so that others could have a sense of the emotions that were going through everyone in the crowd at the time. 


Both of them were waiting for their loved ones; him his fiancée, and her her daughter. By this time, we knew we had been bombed, and none of us were sure where they were.

My dad right after we found him. He was on the verge of hypothermia and in constant pain. Still looking pretty good! He's wearing a jacket that a random woman gave him because she saw he was cold.




That day left a indelible mark on so many who were present, my family included. I hope the remaining perpetrator is captured and brought to justice, but I care more about the other victims or things like this, all over the world. It's their story that matters, and their words we should listen to. Peace be with you all.

Comments

  1. hey forest, these are incredible pictures that really tell the story of the day, both the good and the bad. thank you so much for sharing the pictures and your experience, i am sure it takes a lot of courage!! stay strong and hope your dad is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Divya! My dad is out of the hospital and on the way back to Michigan now, so we're getting better... Slowly. Glad you liked it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aurora Explorations

Costa Rica Intro

Antique Adventures