Above the Bridge

Following my epic trip to SNA in July, I headed to Manila for an office training, then immediately off to the United States. I've been back in the US since August (we'll see how long it takes for this blog to be truly updated), but this was just a quick week-long visit for my friend Clayton's wedding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It was my first time being part of a wedding party, which was rather exciting, though it meant that most of my time was occupied with wedding things. Thankfully, I had a bit of time between wedding events to go out hiking and enjoy some of the UP's landscapes and nature. And birds. Of course, there were some birds. 

My friend group being what it is, and Clayton being Clayton, of course the primary bachelor party activity involved doing something outdoors. The original plan had been to kayak around Grand Island east of Marquette, but the weather was so windy that they (wisely) refused to rent kayaks to us. Instead we ended up just mountain biking around the island. It was windy and hot so there wasn't much wildlife to be seen besides mosquitoes, but there was a small flock of Cedar Waxwings next to the boat landing, a Chipping Sparrow hiding in the bushes, and a very cute Eastern Phoebe hawking mosquitoes near to the lake. 

Cedar Waxwing

Chipping Sparrow

Eastern Phoebe with a beakful of biting insect

Red-spotted Admiral

The wedding itself took place on a farm outside of Marquette, which provided a beautiful backdrop to the ceremony but more importantly included some interesting wildlife. There weren't many birds to be seen but for the Black-billed Cuckoo that briefly perched in front of a bush. The insect life, however, was fantastic. The nice thing about bugs in the US is that they can usually be IDed down to species level, whereas for most insects in the Philippines you're lucky if you can get the right genus. I also took some pictures of the wedding itself upon request, but since this isn't a wedding photography blog I won't post them here. 

Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice
Essex Skipper (Thymelicus lineola)


Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius)

Dun Skipper (Euphyes vestris)

Crambus sp.

Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa
Okay, maybe one wedding picture.


The day after the wedding, I went hiking with my parents up to Hogback Mountain, a hill north of Marquette with a beautiful view over Lake Superior. Besides the views (which I of course forgot to take pictures of), my favorite part of the trip was a pair of Chestnut-sided Warblers that followed us down the path, probably trying to chase us away from their nesting area. Of course I didn't want to stress them out too much being near to an active nest, but I was able to get a few pictures, which was great, since it was one of the best views of a warbler I've ever had. 




Chestnut-sided Warbler

It was clearly "that time of year" in the Philippines, as besides the protective Chestnut-sided Warblers we also saw a juvenile Hermit Thrush and a juvenile Black-throated Green Warbler being fed by their parents.

Juvenile Hermit Thrush

Juvenile Black-throated Green Warbler begging

Adult Black-throated Green Warbler

Black-capped Chickadee

There was also some cool insect life to keep me occupied when the birds weren't around:

Northern Pearly-eye (Lethe anthodon

Hemlock Angle (Macaria fissinotata)

White-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum obtrusum)

Ebony Jewelwing (Calopteryx maculata)

Forest Tent Caterpillar moth- much cuter than its horrid caterpillar form

On our way back down to the Lower Peninsula, we stopped at the Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Schoolcraft County, one of the best wildlife spots in Michigan. We were hoping to be home before dark so there was only time for a quick walk around one of the ponds, but it was still incredible. Nearby the visitor's center was an Eastern Kingbird, while a flock of Ring-necked Ducks, a lifer for me, was in the pond. 

Eastern Kingbird

Ring-necked Duck
We also accidentally flushed a pair of American Woodcocks, while a very tame immature Hermit Thrush decided to come in and check us out in the same place. I had a brief look at my lifer LeConte's Sparrow before it darted into a bush, while there was also a Yellow Warbler in the dogwoods next to the pond. Best was a pair of Sandhill Cranes we were able to observe from a distance- always one of my favorite American birds even though I've seen them many times before. 


Very curious Hermit Thrush



Sandhill Crane


Yellow Warbler


The insect life was amazing, with lots of dragonflies and damselflies, as well as the first Lycaenidae (my favorite family of butterflies) that I'd seen in the US. 

Chalk-fronted Corporal

Familiar Bluet
 
An extremely worn Northern Pearly-eye

Virginia Ctenucha Moth

Racket-tailed Emerald

Lucia Azure

Dun Skipper

After Seney, it was a long drive back home to Suttons Bay. I had a few days at home (my real home!) before returning to the Philippines, but I'll save that for the next blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aurora Explorations

Costa Rica Intro

Antique Adventures